Politics, politics and more politics...
I was looking over the last week or so and realized I have to take a step back from the political world if only to break the monotony.
Just in the interest of equal time though (and in case anyone thought I was giving the other players in this game a pass). A good article on the “Clinton legacy” by Edward S. Herman professor emeritus at the Wharton School of Business from Z magazine.
Clinton’s inept medical reform plan got nowhere, but did result in the rapid and not very helpful spread of HMOs. Thus, in his eight years in office he did nothing constructive to deal with the underlying medical cost problem, which would involve serious government intervention via a single payer insurance system and price caps. These were ruled out by his ties to the insurance and medical industries and his ideological commitment to Hooverite principle two: government is bad and must be shrunk. So here also his legacy sets the stage for further attacks on the welfare state by Bush II.
No comments:
Post a Comment